Furniture Gallery Four
Rockford Furniture Company, organized in 1905 by Will A. Broline and B. A. Wilson. Located in the former Rockford Burial Case Company building at 1009 West Jefferson Street.
Rockford Furniture Company
Rockford Frame and Fixture Company
Rockford Frame and Fixture Company, lcated on Twenty-Second Street at Thirteenth Avenue. Established in 1889 incorporated in 1901 by A.G. Hoffman. After his death in a bicycle vs. Bike accident the company president his widow Anna. Later Edward J. Hoffman would become President and Secretary; Andrew Gilruth, Vice president and Edward Carlson as Treasurer and Manager. The company made a wide range of novelty furniture and advertised some of it as the "EFF & EFF" Line to capitalize on the companys initials. Marion Garmory would become the president of the company In 1914 . The company would go bankrupt in 1917.
Phoenix Furniture Company
Phoenix Furniture Company, Corner of Fulton and Latham. Organized July 1, 1890 by Edward Marsh, President; George Penfield, Vice President and Charles E. Cohoe as Secretary and Treasurer. They manufactured extension tables and chamber suites. Destroyed by fire in 1893.
Diamond Furniture Company
Diamond Furniture Company, Formed in March, 1890, by A. F. Judd and Fred A. Dow. They manufacture patent office chairs and other similar furniture.
Rockford Light Furniture Company
Rockford Light Furniture Company, Nineteenth Avenue and Eleventh Street. Incorporated in 1911. This company manufactured portable and floor lamps and domes under such names as the "Maid", "Flood-O- Lite" lamps and "Blue Seal Quality - The line of a Hundred Masterpieces". They would also manufacture cabinets, piano benches and art furniture. They went bankrupt in 1916.
Superior Furniture Company
Superior Furniture Company, Seventh Street and Twenty Third Avenue. Organized in 1905 by P. O. Upgraph, President; J. E. Sandberg, Vice President; A. W. Mann, Secretary and Treasurer. The company manufactured dining room furniture of the highest quality made in the Mission, Colonial and other Popular Styles in Sawed Oak, Mahogany, and American Walnut. In 1941 the company was sold to Oscar Landstrom who would rename the company to Landstrom Furniture Company in 1945. They would continue in business until 1958.
Rockford Peerless Furniture Company
Rockford Peerless Furniture Company, 1936 Eleventh Street. Organized in 1917 by C.J. Lundberg, President; G. Adolph Peterson, Vice President and John Wester, Secretary and Treasurer. Manufactured Lamps, Shades, Cabinets, Chest of Drawers, Secretaries, Tables and Dinette Suites. They also manufactured radio cabinets. Peerless would purchase the Hanson Clock Company of Rockford in 1964 and shut down clock production in 1965 for reasons unknown. The company ceased operations in 1976.
Excel Manufacturing Company
Excel Manufacturing Company, 1107 Seminary Street. Organized in 1907 by Edward Carlson, President; A.H. Carlson, Vice President; J.A. Carlstrom, Secretary and Treasurer. The company located in one of the old buildings vacated by The National Syrup Company after they relocated out of state. Excel manufactured high grade Excel Brand dining room extension tables and dining room furniture. They would be joined by other furniture manufacturing companies in the other syrup company buildings including The Rockford Mattress Company, Rockford Upholstering Company and the Old Colony Chair Company. Excel would become part of the Winnebago Manufacturing Company in 1928 and operated as a subsidiary.
Landstrom Furniture Company
Landstrom Furniture Company was founded in 1879. This company manufactured Bedroom and Dining Room Suites, Dressers, Vanity Dressers, Wardrobes, Chifforobes, Toilet Tables, Chests of Drawers, Beds, Four Poster-Bow End-Straight End, Chairs, Dining Room, Chairs, Bedroom Sets, Dining Room Extension Tables, Buffets, Servers, China Cabinets, Secretaries, Secretary-Desks, John Hancock-Governor Winthrop, Desks, and Spinet-Ladies’. Reorganized in 1928 by Oscar Landstrom and located at 1908 Eleventh Street along with his other venture Rockford Cabinet Company. Landstrom closed their doors in 1958.
Old Colony Chair Company, 1109 Seminary Street in the old glucose buildings. Founded in 1911 by Al Carlson, President and Treasurer; J.A. Skoog, Vice President; A.R. Floberg, Secretary. The company made matching chairs for Excel Furniture Company Tables including dining and dressing tables. The company closed in the mid 1930's. Winnebago Industries would later take over this space.
Rockford Mattress Company, 1103 Seminary Street in the old glucose property buildings. The company manufactured Mattresses, Sofa Beds, Hollywood Beds, Box Springs, Studio Couches and Juvenile Mattresses.
Rockford Upholstering Company was also located in the old National Syrup Works complex. Organized in 1915 by Gust Anderson, President; J.H. Lindblade, Secretary; W.A. Brolin, Treasurer and Al Carlson as Manager. They were manufactures of upholstered furniture items like rockers, side chairs and davenports that opened into beds. They remained in business until 1922.
Click On Picture Above To View Full Size
Old Colony Chair Company
Rockford Mattress Company
Rockford Upholstering Company
Rockford Cabinet Company
Rockford Cabinet Company, 1908 Eleventh Street. This company was a division of the Free Sewing Machine Company and manufactured sewing machine cabinets and benches, and furniture for the hall, parlor, library, dining and bedroom. No longer listed in city directories as of 1937.
Rockford Bookcase Company
Rockford Bookcase Company, Located on Eighteenth Avenue at Fourteenth Street. Established in 1909 by P.A. Peterson, President; William Pearson, Vice-president; Winfield L. Anderson, Secretary; A.E. Johnson, Treasurer. They would manufacture sewing machine furniture, piano benches and cabinets among other items for Free Sewing Machines. In 1924 Rockford Bookcase Company would merge with Rockford Cabinet Company during a period when Oscar Landstrom was President of the cabinet company.
Rockford Palace Furniture Company
Rockford Palace Furniture Company, 1724 Woodruff Avenue. Founded in 1897. This company manufactured Dining Room Furniture, Desks, Bookcases, And Radio Cabinets, Secretary Desks. Closed around 1935.
Litton Veneer Company
Litton Veneer Company, Tenth Avenue at Tenth Street. Incorporated in 1913 under the management of J.B. Litton. Supplied veneers and lumber to many large furniture companies. Little else is known about this company. This serves as an example of how the furniture industry spawned many other local industries such as mirrors, glass, hardware, paint and varnishes, screws and fasteners, locks, wood moldings and trim, woodworking machinery, drill bits and routers and hand tools among other things.
Rockford's Furniture Exhibition
The idea of a local exposition space was initiated by the leaders of four of Rockford's largest manufacturers to draw people here to purchase furniture at a lower price with the hopes of closing their exhibition spaces in Grand Rapids, Chicago and New York, which cost an estimated $125,000 per year. They formed the Furniture Exposition Association A white brick three-story exhibition hall was constructed in1916. The building featured furniture from 14 factories. The first showing in January of 1916 attracted buyers from all over the country. The manufacturer's soon realized that even though the venture proved successful that they would still benefit from exhibiting their wares in the other cities. The exhibition hall was closed only after a couple of years of use.
The Winnebago Manufacturing Company, founded 1915 and was located at 1109 Seminary Street in what was the largest of what was known as the old Glucose Buildings. Their main product was built up stock catering to the high grade furniture trade. The factory was equipped with the latest machinery all driven by separate motors. They had a large lumber yard and transferred lumber directly from the railcar to one of the ten large dry kilns to prepare the lumber for manufacture. They also would manufacture high grade bedroom furniture and veneered panels and made radio cabinets during the depression to keep afloat. Reorganized in 1946 as the Rockford Cabinet Company. In 1948 they would buy the old Rockford World Furniture plant for the manufacture of television cabinets. The company would close in 1965.
Winnebago Manufacturing Company
The Original Rockford Nostalgic Website